Thursday, June 21, 2007

Does anyone else feel this way?

Hi. Something has been bugging me for a while...as you know if you have been reading(and I don't think anyone has but if people start I want there to be some sort of continuity.) My decision to start tgttr was based on the betrayal of ESPN to the viewers that made it what it was...this is something that I don't want to continually harp on because great sites like Deadspin pretty much have missile lock on the WorldWideLeader but this morning's experience is one I would like to share with you.

Turn on the TV as always and tune to channel 736 (Hi-Def ESPN for those of you not in the area) to see if the Yanks actually got dusted by the score that was current when I fell asleep, hey they're in Colorado and start at 9pm, don't call me soft. Anyway as fate would have it my TV comes to life just as they are advertising their ridiculously convoluted "Who's Now?" tournament where athletes are arranged in brackets March Madness style to vote on who currently has the most on and off the field success (think A-Rod, Tiger, Tom Brady etc.) This got me thinking...these types of promotions, and thats all they are, a tool that ESPN will use to push false storylines(A-Rod more successful than Jeter? How will the fans react? hmmm we don't care just win some effing games please.) "Who's Now" while being the dumbest fucking question ever, is simultaneously the reason why SportsCenter sucks now. Back in the day, the highlights used to capture the flow of the game. If you watched a game start to finish, the edition of SC that followed more or less gave you the essence of how the game felt. Whether it be a pitcher's duel, slugfest, etc. the highlight gave you the same feel that the 9 inning edition gave you.

Now? you get about four seconds of one run scoring and obscure facts about players, the stadium, the umpire etc...how many times does this have happen before I finally lose it and throw my control against the wall? You watch a game, want to catch the highlights later and get no satisfaction due to SC pushing something other than the actual product.

More than a little frustrating. Does anyone else feel this way? C'mon I know you're out there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You speak the truth. I came up loving SportsCenter, now it's like a parody of itself. I can imagine a movie made 15 years ago mocking what it has become today, but I would never have thought it would really have come to this. It's sad but now w/the web the gap in coverage can be filled all too easily; I only use ESPN for the bare minimum. Even the Sports Guy and alot of other writers I used to like - either they're just not any good anymore, or they're "Insider only" and I'm not paying an arm and a leg to read tips I can find elsewhere on the web.

The Hitman said...

amen brother, the only useful insider in my opinion is Buster Olney, his blog is quality and consistent